Upaya Social Ventures is seeking a full-time Senior Associate, Accelerator Program to join its India team. The position is based out of Bangalore.
Upaya creates dignified jobs for the poorest of the poor by building scalable businesses with investment and consulting support. Since 2011, Upaya has supported 14 small and growing “partner” businesses in India with investments and expertise. Upaya partners have created over 10,000 jobs. With offices in Seattle, Washington and Bangalore, India, Upaya has
committed to a goal of helping partners create 15,000 jobs by the end of 2019.
From 2017, Upaya started a focused accelerator program that allows us to support a larger number of entrepreneurs and their business ideas. The program involves three workshops held over a 5-month period and additional offline support in helping the enterprises be prepared for investment and establish financial management and impact management processes. Out of each accelerator cohort Upaya selects one to three businesses in which to make equity investments.
When selecting participants for our cohorts, Upaya prioritizes companies that demonstrate strong potential to create hundreds, if not thousands, of dignified and reliable jobs for people in their communities, helping to lift those jobholders, and their families, out of extreme poverty.
Upaya has run two accelerator program over the last two years – Skilling in 2017 and Agribusiness in 2018 and plans to launch a new accelerator program in early 2019.
Upaya is looking to hire a Senior Associate to take responsibility for delivering Upaya’s Accelerator Program. Upaya seeks a highly detail-oriented, methodical and well-organized individual who can achieve targets independently, proactively and under pressure. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with social entrepreneurs in helping create impact for the poorest of poor.
The candidate preferably has a background in entrepreneurship acceleration, leadership development and/or social entrepreneurship. The Senior Associate will oversee the accelerator program that includes the overall running of the accelerator program and post accelerator support through various alumni engagement activities. The person must serve as mentor, problem solver, connector, and partner with overall responsibility for ensuring that entrepreneurs receive the highest possible level of support throughout the program.
- Design, plan and deliver the accelerator program to help support 10-12 enterprises over a period of four to six months.
- Build partnerships with various ecosystem players including incubators, accelerators, investors, academic institutions and others for collaboration.
- Lead the sourcing of applicants for the accelerator program.
- Work closely with the marketing & communications team to develop messaging and outreach regarding the accelerator program.
- Manage the selection process in identifying the cohort companies for the accelerator program.
- Deliver the three workshops focussed on financial management, social impact measurement, organizational development and investor connection by further developing on existing curriculum to meet the needs of the cohort companies.
- Coordinate outreach to potential speakers, experts for various sessions to support the cohort companies as part of the accelerator program.
- Support the portfolio management team in providing offline support to the cohort companies as part of the accelerator program.
- Lead investor outreach and connection for the cohort companies.
- Organize the logistics for the accelerator program.
- Track feedback from cohort companies using quantitative and qualitative metrics on the performance of the Accelerator Program.
- Lead the alumni engagement program activities to help support both cohort and portfolio companies post the accelerator program.
- Master’s Degree strongly preferred: Preferably in Management / Business Administration with experience in project / event management and a passion for planning and implementing.
Skills & Experience
- 4 – 7 years of post-qualification work experience in a small business / start up environment
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills, a connector, with genuine interest in supporting the success of others
- Project management skills having demonstrated ability to manage projects and diverse stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Understanding of what makes successful businesses
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail and steadfast commitment to Upaya’s values