Financing Solar Beyond The Grid.
Over the next decade, solar energy will leapfrog the electricity grid in developing countries much like cell phones leapfrogged landlines. SunFunder is dedicated to financing this emerging solar market transformation.
SunFunder is a solar energy finance business with a mission to provide financing for solar assets in emerging economies, including inventory, working capital, construction, and structured finance loans. SunFunder is a well-positioned financial intermediary that has been operating since 2012.
We offer borrowers a deep solar market expertise, an efficient due diligence process and strong customer partnerships, while simultaneously providing investors with diversified, high-impact, fixed income debt offerings of emerging market solar investments.
- $64m loans to 45 solar borrowers in 60 debt facilities
- Over 5 million people impacted with improved energy access
- $60m debt funds closed from institutional and individual investors
SunFunder works with investors to unlock capital to finance solar beyond the grid. We offer diversified fixed-income debt fund opportunities, comprised of vetted portfolios of emerging market solar investments.
- We have unlocked a total of $62 million for the sector through our Beyond The Grid Solar Fund and other debt facilities.
- We are currently raising our $85 million Solar Energy Transformation (SET) Fund – the next chapter in our fund strategy.
- SET will focus on catalysing commercially-oriented investment into the sector alongside well-targeted impact and development finance investors. The sector needs a full spectrum of investors to achieve scale.
We successfully completed the Beyond The Grid Solar (BTG) Fund. The first close was anchored by OPIC, The Rockefeller Foundation and MCE Social Capital. They were followed by FMO, BIO, Sant Foundation, Packard Foundation, Anthos, Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, Baldwin Brothers and others. We are thrilled to have such wonderful partners as we deploy BTG into quality solar loans.
SunFunder is the leading specialist debt financing partner for solar companies active in off-grid residential, commercial & industrial and other solar opportunities in emerging and frontier markets. We have closed 60 debt facilities with 45 solar borrowers, giving us unrivaled track record and expertise in tailoring lending products for the sector.
- Diversified: Investments across multiple borrowers, market segments, technologies, and geographies
- Reduced Risk: Sophisticated due diligence and credit underwriting, loss protection
- High Impact: Scalable delivery of reliable, clean power for people and businesses
- Solar Expertise: Regionally based finance experts dedicated to scaling solar businesses and their finance needs
- Customer Focus: Structuring capability to tailor lending to needs, from working capital to project and receivables financing
- Reliability: Access efficient diligence, repeat loans and advanced monitoring systems
- Africa | East