SMARTER COOKING TECHNOLOGY FOR BETTER LIVING.
Envirofit was founded on the idea that enterprise principles can transform the development of household and commercial energy technologies for people living in extreme energy poverty. In 2003, Envirofit set out to change the way energy products were developed for people living in remote parts of the world. With a goal of improving harmful traditional cooking methods, Envirofit innovated a product line of aesthetic, high performance cookstoves tailored to the needs of customers in emerging and underdeveloped markets. Years of consumer research and product development proved that people who lack access to electricity and clean cooking solutions do desire and will buy high quality products that can improve their lives.
Today, Envirofit has grown from a business with one product to a global company serving over five million people, with over a dozen user-designed products and regional headquarters in East Africa, West Africa, Asia, and Latin America that offer the local production and distribution of clean cookstoves.
Business for Good
We believe that developing business opportunities is the most sustainable approach to help people make smarter decisions for themselves and build better lives through innovative cooking solutions.
Built for Scale
Global challenges require large-scale solutions. With nearly half of the global population still living in energy poverty, Envirofit invests in developing and bringing to the market scalable solutions that will improve the access and adoption of clean energy solutions on a global scale.
Consumer Centered Design
Envirofit believes that everyone across the world is united in an ambition to live a healthy, productive, and meaningful life. Consumers are at the center of our product design, and behavior change depends on their satisfaction. We create smart products to help our consumers make smart decisions.
Creating access to clean energy technology involves more than a technology revolution – it requires innovation along the entire value chain, from product manufacturing and sales to marketing and customer service. Over the past decade, Envirofit has developed and scaled a social venture committed to serving a global community. This model has helped support the creation of markets that address consumer preferences, create access to new technology, and develop business partnerships with the capacity and commitment to support customers after they’ve purchased Envirofit products.
The SMAAART™ 360 model
- World Class Research & Development – At the cutting edge of cookstove innovation, our engineers work in our world-renowned cookstove lab side-by-side with our research team to design stoves that meet the cooking requirements of our customers across the globe.
- Design for Adoption – Each stoves goes through rigorous consumer testing, where we focus, group test, and survey over 2,000 people in order to find and fix problems before the stoves reach our customers.
- Production for Scale – To manufacture at scale, materials and products are inspected throughout the production and shipping process to ensure each product meets our stringent quality standards.
- Extensive Distribution – We partner with last mile entrepreneurs, local businesses, and international distributors to scale access to clean cooking technology in both urban and rural markets.
- Customer Care – Through our customer care center, we provide training and support to encourage clean cookstove awareness and adoption.
- Impact reporting – We call customers to monitor and evaluate products in use and collect information on cooking habits. This feedback helps drive our product innovation.
We work with financing organizations, small businesses, small holder farmers, and women’s groups to develop sustainable local cookstove businesses.
Envirofit, with Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, is working to build the global business case for investing in female cookstove entrepreneurs. Through an innovative training program, we empower women across the global cookstove value chain. Read the report
We advise and custom build large-scale sustainable cookstove programs that make clean cookstoves adoptable, affordable, and accessible.
Envirofit, in partnership with the President of Honduras, has custom designed a stove for Hondurans to transform the lives of 1.5 million people and create a market for clean cookstove production for Latin America. Explore the model
We provide rapid production and supply of cookstoves for conflict, emergency, and relief situations anywhere around the globe.
Envirofit has successfully supplied institutional and household stoves to relief efforts in Sudan, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Somalia, Nepal, and Haiti. Envirofit and the Women’s Refugee Committee delivered stoves to a refugee camp in DRC to explore how cookstoves could reduce gender-based violence. See the video
- Africa | East
- Africa | West
- Americas | Central America
- Asia | Central
- Asia | East
- Asia | Southeast
- Asia | South
- Asia | West
Honduras, Mexico, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique, Gambia, Liberia, Ghana, Nigeria, India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Sri Lanka